For a brief description of all necessary actions you must undertake after your arrival in the Netherlands, you can download the brochure ‘New in the Netherlands'. This brochure is available in multiple languages at


The rules and procedures that you have to adhere to when applying for a visa depend on your particular situation. There are visas for short stays (less than 3 months) and special visas for people who intent to reside in the Netherlands for longer periods of time.

Arnhem Hommelsemarkt.jpg

The most recent information regarding visas can be found on the website of the Dutch government.


The Immigration and Naturalisation Service IND (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst) is the Dutch admissions organisation. The IND will handle all applications and permits of individuals who want to reside in the Netherlands. The English language section of the IND’s website provides a comprehensive and current overview of all rules and procedures.

Residence Permits

The rules and procedures that you have to adhere to when applying for a visa depend on your particular situation. The IND implements immigration policy and decides on applications for residence permits.

Within the framework of Dutch immigration law, a residence permit can be awarded on multiple grounds. Each ground/purpose of stay has its own conditions. On the website of Dutch government you will find the residence permits that are most appropriate for workers.



The Dutch insurance system is likely to be different from the system you are used to. Some insurances are obligatory, others are facultative.

All the information regarding health insurance, usually provided by specialised insurance companies, can be found on our Healthcare page.

Other insurers like large insurance companies and banks offer a wide range of insurance packages that may include a car, life, burial, accident, liability, rental, building, home-owner's and legal support insurances. For high-value items such as art, jewellery and antiques, you will need a separate 'kostbaarheden' (valuables) insurance.

These combination packages allow you to bring down costs and to avoid the problems of figuring out what company or policy covers what type of damage in times of need. Be sure to shop around at different suppliers, as costs and coverage may differ. You can also ask your bank for information.

The Union of Dutch Insurers (Verbond van Verzekeraars in Dutch) keeps a record of their members.

Municipal registration

All immigrants who need to get registered, including children, must visit the local town hall in person to be registered in the municipal Key Register of Persons, the BRP (Basisregistratie Personen). You can make an appointment with the Civil Affairs Department (afdeling Burgerzaken) in your municipality. Once you have registered, you will be given an extract from the BRP. Some companies in the i-WANt area have an agreement with The Expat Center Food Valley in Wageningen, which serves as a one-stop shop for expats and can help you out with all the formalities and immigration procedures.

Municipalities and Expat Center Food Valley

3 Woman.jpg

Expat Center Food Valley

Other usefull links

Beuningen - Winssen Mill.JPG


Sudycentre-Arnhem Business School.jpg